The Protection against Harassment of Women at Workplace Act 2010
Definition Of Harassment
Any unwelcome sexual advance, request for sexual or offensive work environment, or the attempt to punish the complaint for refusal of comply to such a request or request or is made a condition for employment favor or other verbal or written communication or physical conduct of a sexual nature or sexually demeaning attitudes, causing interference with work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile
Protection against Harassment of Women at the workplace Act, 2010:
To protect women against such harassment at their workplace, Government of Pakistan has implemented “Protection against Harassment of Women at the workplace Act, 2010” in all organizations. Every organization has an internal committee to work in this regard and to undertake the following measures for implementation of this act:
- Adaptation of code of conduct prescribed by law.
- The committee will immediately address the complaints of sexual harassment as per law, as and when received.
- Ensuring the justice is done swiftly and retaliation against the complaints is curbed.
- Informing and educating the employees to make them more aware of the provisions of the act and to encourage a professional and dignified work environment for the women in public and private sectors.
Code of Conduct for the Employees:
- During the discharge of official duties in the office, all functionaries should behave in proper manner according to the official decorum.
- The language should be civilized and simple. Words and sentences having more than one meaning should be strictly avoided.
- The dress should be proper as per office norms. Casual dress should not be worn.
- Unnecessary stay and unnecessary visits to women’s workplace and near women washrooms are strictly prohibited.
- Staring is also a menace in our society and should be avoided.
- Duties after office hours and duties on holidays for women must be approved from the concerned Head of Wing.
- Any other action which tantamount to harassment of lady officials/officers of this ministry will be considered a serious offence and disciplinary action will be taken under the Government Servants (efficiency and Disciplinary) rules, 1973 against the offenders.
- All lady officers/officials are advised to lodge a complaint immediately to the administration wing in case of harassment from any male officer/official.
- 1. Every Government, non-government, private or public department, office or organization is bound to display the harassment bill by clearly mentioning all points of the bill
- All the above mentioned organizations are bound to construct a committee comprising of 3 members including 1, must, female member.
- The aggrieved person should complain to that inter office committee but she can also directly move the complain to the office of ombudsman
- If the complainant is not satisfied with the inter office committee , she can go directly to the office of ombudsman*
*for the first time in Punjab, there is woman ombudsman to sort out the cases of women harassment at work place.
Women ombudsman Punjab
Women development department
Building #2 ground floor , evaan e iqbal complex
Ejarton road Lahore
Click below to download the act;