Followings are some important points to remember about Hindi-Urdu Controversy which are often repeated in different exams in shape of MCQS.
- Urdu language is 400 years old.
- Another name of Urdu language is “Lashkari”.
- Sir Syed Ahamd Khan rendered valuable services for development of Urdu Language.
- Farhang-i-Asfia is authentic Urdu Dictionary which contains 54014 words.
- Banaras Institute was established in 1861.
- Banaras Institute was established against the Urdu Language.
- In 1832, Urdu was introduced as official language in subcontinent by British Govt.
- Hindi-Urdu controversy was started in 1867.
- Sir Syed Ahmad Khan was the first person to adopt measures for protection of Urdu Language.
- Sir Syed established “Central Association” at Allahabad.
- George Campbell ordered that Urdu should be scrapped from the syllabus books in 1871.
- George Campbell was the Governor of Bengal.
- In 1900, Anthony MacDonald issued orders that Hindi should be used as official language.
- Anthony Macdonald was the Governor of United Province (UP).
- Urdu Defense Society was established to protect the Urdu Language.
- “Anjuman I Tarakki Urdu” was set up by Maulvi Abdul Haq at Aligarh in 1903.
- In 1917, Gandhi declared that Hindi was the only language capable of becoming the national language.