Partition of Bengal 1905
Followings are some important points to remember about partition of Bengal which are often repeated in different exams in shape of MCQS.
- Lord Curzon became the viceroy of India in 1899.
- Lord Curzon announced the partition of Bengal on 16 October 1905.
- At the time of partition, total area of Bengal was 189000 sq. km.
- Total population of New province of East Bengal was 31 million.
- Out of total 31 million population, there were 18 million Muslims and 12 million Hindus.
- John Brodrick sanctioned the scheme of partition of Bengal who was secretary of state.
- Mr. Filler was the first Governor of East Bengal.
- Dhaka was the capital of East Bengal.
- At the time of partition of Bengal, Nawab Salimullah Khan was the leader of Muslims of Bengal.
- Hindus observed the 16 October as the day of mourning.
- Calcuta became the center point of agitation against the partition of Bengal.
- Under leadership of Ghokhlay, Hindu delegation went to London to protest against partition of Bengal.
- Swadeshi Movement was started by Hindus against the partition of Bengal.
- Partition of Bengal was annulled in 1911.
- Nawab Saleem Ullah left the politics after annulment of partition of Bengal.
- George V made the announcement of annulment of partition of Bengal at his coronation Darbar in Dehli.
- Lord Minto criticized the annulment of partition of Bengal.